Feb 12, 2010

Chiropractic care.. finally.

So I finally went to see the chiropractor. I was a bit nervous, but they spent a lot of time talking to me and answering any questions I had to calm me down. Adjustments aren't nearly as bad as I'd pictured them -- they sound terrible when the joints pop, but it's helped a lot.

They did these scans the first day -- taking my vitals, measuring temperature and range of moment and such? So afterwards they gave me these charts showing muscle spasms and other deviations from "normal" backs. I'll scan these later.

"White is normal," the doctor said, "green is mild, blue's a bit of a problem, and red is severe."

"What's that huge black one up there?" (around c1-c5)

"That's... well, we don't actually have a word for that."

"...ohh."

"That would be beyond severe."

X-Rays showed mild scoliosis and my neck needs to be recurved since it doesn't seem to be supporting my head... yeahhh. Pretty messed up. The doctor pointed out that the really really bad parts are around c1 and c2, which is like.. known to fuck shit up in the brain when it interferes with the nervous system, centered in said spine. Headaches, dizziness, anxiety etc.

"Usually people start to see changes in a lot of other areas of the body," Dr. Ramsey said. "Everything is controlled and regulated by the nervous system... so if we fix what's going on around there, it's almost as if we reboot the computer and things go back to functioning the way they were meant to."

So my mom (who was there with me) was all for getting treatment, despite having to cover it without any aid from insurance. My dad was a bit irritated when he saw the projected bill. Eh. He wants me to get a job and take care of it myself. Hopefully I'll get some bites on my resume off PSU's career system thingie.

Anyway, sleeping better and not constantly in pain -- worth every penny to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment