Oct 10, 2010

"...just no more three-by-fives."

What does it say that I've never really been much for taking myspace style pictures?

I've just never been somewhere or had something happen where I was like, MAN, I want to take a picture of myself. I don't make fun of other people who do it (well, there are certainly exceptions...) but it just always makes me feel extremely conceited. I understand that people want to remember moments -- but how much more often do you see people taking pictures of themselves versus taking pictures of actual events? I'm a big fan of candid photos. How often do you see people out somewhere spending more time taking photos of themselves then staring at them on the screen of their digital cameras for a minute before taking more? Not nearly, I feel, as much as you see people out living in the moment, taking in every detail of things -- the sounds, the scents, the rushes of excitement found in actually doing things rather than posing for pictures? There's just something weird about seeing pictures of some event rather than actually talking to any of the people who were there, even more so than getting pictures of relatives you just never meet.

John Mayer's "3x5s" is one of my favorite songs, and it really sums up how I feel about the whole issue:

"Today I finally overcame trying to fit the world inside a picture frame.
Maybe I will tell you all about it when I'm in the mood to lose my way (withwords) but let me say
You should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes -- it brought me back to life.
You'll be with me next time I go outside; no more 3x5's."


All or nothing, in a way. Essentially: if I want to share a moment from my life with you, it won't be in a Facebook picture or an envelope come Christmas. I'll make the effort to immerse you in a detailed recount, with a mindset undistracted and expressive so that you can get a glimpse of what I felt at that moment -- or better yet, come along. Pictures just aren't enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment