Oct 6, 2011

I nodded,

and said nothing.

"...but you should be proud of your accomplishments. You've had to deal with this for the last ten years of your life."

I stopped nodding and gazed at the floor.

"And you need to remember that it's not you -- it's an illness. It's not your fault."

I pressed my teeth into my bottom lip and blinked my eyes clear. I nodded again, slowly, and in my head I wondered how he knew I thought it was my fault.

Later on I realized, while swirling frozen yogurt around a raspberry in my cup, how much comfort and hope I found in that little phrase. It also occurred to me that, had he known me better, he wouldn't think that way. I swallowed the last of the yogurt.

Tom stood and offered to help me up. I took the hand (and I think it felt like life's).

No comments:

Post a Comment