Nov 27, 2009

Myoo-sik Rev-yoo

So I'm not sure how I feel about "Not Good Enough (for Truth in Cliché)," one of the free mp3 downloads I just snagged from Last.fm. It's an old single (~2006?) by Escape the Fate and, quite frankly, if no one told me that I wouldn't have guessed.

I adore their latest album, This War Is Ours, completely, and not just because their leading single featured Josh Todd. Honest! (but FUCK, he's so hot.) I just love the lyrics and overall energy of the album -- I haven't seen it myself since I was out of the country when the Vegas boys were in Portland (waaaaah), but I hear Craig Mabbitt's stage performance is just as exciting.

At the moment, I've got "We Won't Back Down" going on iTunes; they're really almost a whole new band. I mean, I guess that's what happens when your band makes a pit stop in DramaVille and you lose your lead singer and a guitarist. I sort of feel that if you're getting a whole new songwriter, you're getting a whole new band. But hey! That's just me. I'm sure they just kept their name to hold onto their fan base.

Anyway, back to the single -- I'm going to have to give it a thumbs down. They sound pretty generic, and if this was the first ETF track I heard I definitely wouldn't have followed up. The lyrics aren't bad; they're a bit emo for my tastes, but they're not bad. I think Craig's vocals mesh with their sound really well.

So, sorry Ronnie! I think my expectations were just too high from the new Escape the Fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment