Apr 7, 2010

The Triggering Town

Textbooks are a bitch. I was an Organismal Biology major. I know. I try to get used ones or just rent them at the library to cut costs. But since I switched over to English/Writing, I've come across a few books I just don't want to get rid of at the end of the term. The fiction and narratives I understand -- there are some great stories and it's not worth it to try to sell them.
But this book we've been assigned to read, "The Triggering Town: Lectures and Essays on Poetry and Writing," by Richard Hugo has captivated me. I've got the library copy -- it was actually the last book I got because there's only one copy among all the Multnomah County libraries and I had to put it on hold. It's old and very worn out, pencil marks are around various sections and a word or two in the margins. I must have it.
I can't say I've particularly learned anything new, but rather that I've found words to explain what I just sort of knew intuitively, and it's a lovely feeling. I dunno. I'm a nerd!

No comments:

Post a Comment