Oct 2, 2011

The Sylvia Plath Effect


Sylvia Plath was an American poet in the early/mid-1900s, known best as an author of "confessional poetry." She also wrote short stories and novels. One day, at 30 years old, she committed suicide. Stuck her head in the oven and died. Her two children asleep only rooms away.

I read something the other day that mentioned "the Sylvia Plath Effect," and was intrigued. I adore her poetry and prose. Of course I had to look into it. It must've been exactly what I expected it to be, because I was horrified and amazed and calm all at once. It was from a study done in 2001 where they had determined that female poets were significantly more susceptible to mental illness and any other women.

I'm not sure what I think. But I am fascinated.

No comments:

Post a Comment