Nov 8, 2011

better write more...

Not feeling well today. Mentally, physically, emotionally -- you name it, it's down here with me. I'll likely end up not going to my Grant Writing course and perhaps my Rhetoric one if this headache keeps up. In the latter, however, we're discussing the first few chapters of one of our texts, "Writing & Healing," so I'm a little reluctant to not go.


"Writing & Healing" is like a broader, physically heavier, and more academically sound partner to "The Artist's Way," which I listened to on audiobook recently. "The Artist's Way" is more of a self-help sort of book and "Writing & Healing" is somewhat referential, but they're still addressing the same thing for me: underscoring the value of writing in the process of recovery and living contentedly. The textbook is a collection of peer-reviewed journal articles, making it easier (though still far from comfortable) to discuss in a classroom. Professor Miller mentioned a class taught by Professor Reese which is essentially using the ideas and techniques described in the articles. I can't believe I didn't take it. It might've been full by the time I was able to register. I don't know. I still need to reread "The Midnight Disease," which we talked about earlier -- I say "we" very loosely, as things author Alice Flaherty discusses in her book hit so close to home it was everything I could do to keep from crying in class. And I definitely cried at home.

Anyway, reading and writing. I like these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment