Nov 7, 2011

Kittens and Bouncy Balls

While typing my morning pages (750 words) today, I kept getting distracted. My cat, Higgins, kept crying for some reason and I couldn't focus. It occurred to me at the end of my pages that he might have the right idea -- why keep quiet when you need something desperately? I heard him drop his bouncy ball, so he must have just wanted to play, but the concept is still relevant -- why suffer in silence when people who love and care for you are there and available? I certainly wouldn't meow at the top of my lungs and circle around a computer chair, but I need to do something other than pretend everything is okay when they clearly are not.

I need to reach out -- I need to ask for help, ask for what I need to get through this dark time. What's the worst that could happen? I suppose I thought he was annoying, but when he stopped and sat next to me, staring with that sort of focus only a cat who wants something from you has, I gave in and played with him for a bit. A little while after, I stopped throwing the ball and he hopped up onto the bed and curled up contentedly.

Wouldn't that be marvelous if that is all it took to get me out of this rut I'm so deep into?

No comments:

Post a Comment