Apr 9, 2010

"Let the sweat drop

Thanks to my hero Grammar Girl, I discovered that April is National Poetry Month. This tradition started in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets (AAP), around when I was... oh about eight-years-old? I don't suppose it would come as a surprise to anyone that I consider myself a poet. The earliest I can remember writing is back in 4th grade. Just some short and cheery stuff I'd carefully transcribe onto colored construction paper I'd cut out in various shapes. But writing poetry doesn't feel like a sufficient way to celebrate the month -- I mean, I write a lot anyway. What's the difference?

So naturally, I decided I would devote more time to reading poetry -- particularly work of poets I'm unfamiliar with, which seems to be just about all the contemporary poets. I'm taking Intro to Poetry Writing (sigh, prerequisites) this term so I have a giant textbook filled with poems, many of which I would never read on my own free will. But besides that, I think I'll hit the library again for any anthologies of note and use the magic of The Interwebs to find specifics. This will be fun! What? Don't roll your eyes at me.

In case anyone was actually interested, the AAP website has composed a clever little list of ideas for how to celebrate Poetry month a different way each day in April. 

2 comments:

Tom said...

First, I support this plan. Second, does Chicken Soup with Rice count as poetry?

Chel said...

Yes. Poetry at its best.

Post a Comment